Friday 6 July 2012

I Remember... part 2

Oh, the trouble the internet causes.  The uniting and reuniting of friends and crushes. The mayhem that ensues!

There was this guy I knew who took me dancing once. I must have been about 18 years old, maybe 19.  I still lived at home with mom and dad. I remember this because my mother was quite taken with the young man. He has dark eyes and a Spanish last name, and my mother goes for that.

These 2 girls I knew from school, Jenny and Chris, told me that he was going to call me up and ask me to go dancing. They said, "He's not asking you out; he has a girlfriend. He just thinks it would be fun to go dancing.  You should go with him." So, I did. It was fun. We talked about a bunch of stuff, had fun at the club, and it was a good evening overall. I didn't think much about it afterward because I was under the impression he was with someone else. It was a pleasant memory. Time went on, and I didn't see him again.

Years later, he found me on the internet. Regrettably, he was going through a divorce. I tried to be a sympathetic ear but kept a healthy distance; I was, after all, involved with a man whom I hoped to have a future with.  (I didn't, but that's a story for another day.)  He told me at one point that he'd been interested in me on our non-date, but that another friend of his was going to come to the club and ask me out that night.

Who? I asked him. I couldn't figure out who he was referring to.

It was B. The very same B who I talk with now. I adored B and had absolutely no idea that this was an option.

So I asked him, "If I was the belle of the freaking ball, why didn't anyone tell me?" In retrospect, I don't think he appreciated that bit of commentary.

I will say in my defense that I was young and completely obnoxious.

I recently had the chance to ask B about this particular incident via email.  He said he didn't remember it specifically but said he had a big crush on me then. It made my week.

No comments: