Saturday 6 October 2012

What is love? Baby, don't hurt me, don't hurt me no more...

Diva and I have talked a lot about love lately.  There's been a lot to discuss, whether it's my foray back into dating (with imported talented based somewhere else- he is a fantastic guy and very easy to love) or her dream about a connection she had with someone years ago.

She can tell you about the dream, if she wants. I've asked her to write about it, whether it's on this blog or just in her own personal journal. But I can tell you about my newest adventure.

I'm having an undefined relationship (he calls it "trying to date from across the country" and other such things) with an old crush of mine. We met when we were about 16 and 18, respectively. I liked him then, but in retrospect I was probably a bit hot-headed back in those days and wanted to be independent no matter what. Maybe it's good that we didn't date when I was younger; I don't know. By now, we have both mellowed out considerably.  He is divorced and I have never married, although I've had a few long relationships that always ended up with me being single again (and sometimes shouting, "Free at last!")

During the ride through the wringer called 2012 (so far), which has included over 2 months of illness, financial woes, numerous work problems, and storm damage to my property (worth half of what I paid for it), I decided it was time to just hang my problems out to dry.  It's just gotten to the point where life is ridiculous and impossible to take seriously.  If I try to solve all of these problems on my own, I'm just going to give myself a heart attack or an ulcer or something else that will make me miss work, lose out on earnings as well as happiness, and generally not enjoy life. So, I'm taking what I think is a wise approach: making time to see or talk to friends as often as I can, doing what I can to handle the issues at work and with my money, and having as many lost weekends as possible.  I think it's best for my own sanity.

One such lost weekend took place with my beau recently.  I could not have scripted any more fun than what we had.  I know, after 20 years, that he's changed, but in a way he's exactly who he was.  That doesn't get lost as you age.  It seems that he has more words for what's going on than I do. I just told him, "I like you a lot. And that's all I've got!" meaning I don't know what else to say about it.

But in the realms of what is considered to be traditional love, one of my siblings was engaged to be married this week. I am happy for both of them. They've had a short courtship but I don't see any reason to worry about that. Love is love. I'm happy that they are both excited about taking the plunge.

Finally, you can't talk about love without talking about love beyond one's life.  A good friend of mine lost her dog this week. She is upset, to say the least.  She is friends with a medium, who was able to see the dog on the other side with my friend's grandmother. While that is comforting, it doesn't take away the loss of the animal in your life.

In Don Juan DeMarco, our boyfriend Johnny Depp's character said this about love: There are only four questions of value in life, Don Octavio. What is sacred? Of what is the spirit made? What is worth living for, and what is worth dying for? The answer to each is the same: only love.

Ahhhh, love.

Have a great weekend!

-Jane

No comments: