Sunday 12 May 2013

Finding the Motivation

I swear, there are not enough hours in the day.  Really.

Some people gauge their progress by doing this by age 25, something else by age 30, and this big laundry list of things by age 40, etc.

When I was 25, the excuse for not writing all the screenplays and being in all the theatre and film projects in the world at that point was that I was busy going to pubs and drinking, obtaining "real life" experience for what I wanted to write later on.  Really, I had tons of energy and had to run it off one way or another :)

By age 30, I was jettisoning a crappy boyfriend and learning the lesson of how one person can have a detrimental effect on your life.  My cholesterol and weight were up, my happiness levels were low, and my stress levels were off the charts.  I gave myself a pass for not having more done by that age because I had to deal with him- all the pressures of being with him, coupled with the pressure to stay with him from the collective chorus of people around me who judged me for not being able to keep a relationship going.  It was a rough time.  So on my 30th birthday, I was just happy to have a new haircut with bangs, friends to go see a Pirates of the Caribbean movie with, and rum to drink.

As I approach the big 4-0, I have 2 book projects in progress, a full-time job, a long-distance relationship, and the burning desire to get back into good physical shape.  Also, I have health issues now from surgery that I have to manage for the rest of my life; I have to cook for myself a lot, and that in itself is a part-time job for which I don't receive compensation.

Point being, something always falls by the wayside. I have to have relationships with people, too. I have to exercise.  I have to sleep.  I have to work.  So it is hard, sometimes, to keep all these balls in the air.

Ha ha, I just wrote balls in the air.  Anyway, friends, I wanted to write something today, and this is what it turned out to be.

Obviously I need to get going.  Happy week ahead, my friends!

Love,

Jane

No comments: