Wednesday 16 April 2014

Meanwhile, back at the office...


Hi friends! This scene is from when I first realized that my job just down the road from the townhouse I'd paid way too much for was probably not a long-term situation. Ahhh, memories. I mean, excuse me if there are a few blips on my resume. Companies contract, markets plummet, and $hit happens, right?
-Jane

  “I’m not yelling because of anything you did,” Barbara Morris hissed at my boss, Larry. “I’m yelling because nobody’s hiring us anymore! How are we going to continue working if there isn’t any work? Why the hell should we go to conferences that we can’t even afford to attend if nobody’s going to hire us?”
  Apparently Larry had asked to go to a conference to drum up some business. 
  “Half of our clients aren’t going to the next conference,” she added. “They won’t be there for you to even approach.”
  “Well, I’m sorry I brought this up,” Larry shot back at her. “I was trying to help!”
  I had the dubious honor of working in the office next to Larry’s. The good part of that was that I could approach him and his staff easily since they worked nearby. The bad part of that was that I could hear Barbara’s frequent meltdowns in stereo, since she felt most comfortable yelling at Larry.
  Maybe the bad performance review wasn’t entirely personal, I thought. Maybe Barbara and her rich uncle can’t afford every member of the staff anymore. They might be too embarrassed to fire me, but they wouldn’t mind chasing me off.
  Happy holidays, indeed.
  I stopped enjoying the holidays in my twenties, so it wasn’t a surprise when the 2007 holidays passed in a blur. Yes, there were some good times with family and friends back home, but I knew I had a cold, sad, mostly-empty townhouse in Winterville waiting for me when it was all over.
  Welcoming the New Year in 2008 was more of a challenge than I’d imagined. I made a list of what was happening in my life:
-Townhouse down payment was gone, and the purchase price of identical homes was trending downward. I was locked into owning it for the first year of the mortgage, until mid-2008.
-My love life was just a memory. Most guys in Winterville were married and/or repulsive. But to be fair, guys elsewhere hadn’t rated too well, either.
-Place of employment was in financial trouble. Official “job performance rating” was low, although the actual reason for that could be debated.
-Group of “local professionals” seemed not very professional and not very nice, either. Networking seemed a fool’s errand when people everywhere were losing their jobs and no one was hiring.
-My other investment balances were about 60% lower than they’d been the year before. The savings account was still there, but for how long?
-Thank goodness for Diva. 

No comments: