Tuesday 6 May 2014

Posing a question to the readers...

A message from that lady who's writing Jane's story:

Hi friends,

I had so much inspiration at the start of this story that I went crazy with telling stories of dysfunction, awkward social encounters, and other bits of mayhem. Now that I've passed the midpoint of the story, though, I have to think about how it's going to end.

So, before I write the sequel, Jane Goes to Hollywood, (I just can't decide if it should be Hollywood CA or Hollywood FL- either one has loads of potential) I pose this question: Should Jane fall in love at the end? Or is that too contrived? Do I answer questions absolutely or leave room for interpretation and possibilities? (I'd prefer to do the latter.)

It seems to me, from my semi-objective stance as the writer (and the person to whom only some of those odd, strange things happened) that our woman Jane should get a break once in a while.

I've worked on some other stories lately, from romances to action/adventure, and I know (from both the perspective of the reader AND the editor) that the loose ends have to be tied up. Readers don't want to be left hanging over what happened in a subplot, for example. Of course, it's not like everyone drops dead at the end of a book, so obviously the characters' stories can evolve beyond what was last written about them. The imaginations of the readers can decide what's next for the cast of characters. That's one of the fun things about getting to the end of a book.

Of course, I won't tell the story of what actually happened, because first of all that's private and second of all, no one would believe it anyway. But I do have an idea to give Jane a real love life by the end of this story.

Love,
The Author

P.S. from Jane: As the Smiths once sang, Please Please Please Let Me Get What I Want... Lord knows, it would be the first time.


No comments: